Monday 24 November 2008

Busy...Busy

The silly season arrives early in Ireland, well in Dublin anyway. I cannot blame it all on this fact, but we all seem to be so busy ALREADY. On Thursday evening the school put on a production of Grease...the girls bought tickets to go and watch and the parents were reduced to mere taxi drivers! We made the most of it and went off for a Thai dinner at Siam Thai in Dundrum...the BEST Pad Thai I have ever eaten...sigh. Malcolm and I both had the dim sum to start which was also delicious and for mains Malcolm chose a ginger chicken dish with noodles which was also lovely.
On Friday evening I found myself protecting the D in a hockey match, playing centre back for the first time ever. I have to confess to being terrified - a mistake on my part = goal! Somehow I stepped up to the challenge and played surprisingly well...in fact one of my teammates told me I '" saved" her skin (she was right back) on several occasions by stopping/tackling her mark!
Saturday morning I was up early, Kirstin plays badminton every Saturday and needs to be dropped off at 09h30/10h00, she has made it her personal plan to play badminton in the Olympics one day, so it is crucial that she makes it to all the practices available, the fact that a certain boy plays has absolutely NOTHING to do with her chronic interest in the game.
Having said that the renewed interest in her educational institution is inspiring and as long as she wants to be at school I cannot complain....for now! In all seriousness she is a different child, she has more energy and va voom again, very much the old Kirstin I thought I had lost for a while.
Jessica is still playing hockey, games on Saturdays too and even scored 3 goals in one game...plus numerous goals in other games so she is very pleased wit herself. She is also surprisingly happier about using public transport to make her way home in the afternoon, providing a certain lad is on said transport...oh boy here we go! We had her parent teacher conference a while ago, in fact it was the day after I tore my calf muscle - Malcolm got to go and enjoy the experience of J's teachers waxing lyrical about her all on his own, and they really did. She certainly made us proud!
Back to the weekend then....
I spent the rest of the day between the hair dresser, Mink, the mall and Carla's (for make up)...it was THE day of the Rock Ball and it was such fun being so pampered....and yes I will admit a bit O.T.T of me...but it was only the ONCE, and may never happen again!
The ball was lovely, we had a string quartet at the champagne reception with big fat plump and juicy chocolate dipped strawberries being waved under our noses while we all oohhed and aahhed over each other. Considering we usually meet in sweats, head bands and gum guards it is quite something to see everyone in their finery! The dinner was a four course affair and afterwards there was a live band for the dancing. I got to spend time with M and D, she came to Dublin especially for the ball which was brilliant and we found ourselves curled up on chairs in the residents lounge at 03h00 trying valiantly (and successfully) to finish our bottles of wine. In the morning I discovered that the last bottle had not been my smartest move and my punishments was the third hangover I have ever had to endure in my life...and after numero 2 I remember saying never again...

This weekend we get to hang out with Don and Maura, yes they are popping over for a visit and we are all thrilled...I have my work Christmas party on Friday evening which I am looking forward to...they only arrive in Dublin at 22h00 so the possible plan, if they are in the mood is to meet up in town later....much later! The rest of the weekend the calendar is clear...I think it is my only free weekend until after Christmas now! I guess I will have to watch the alcohol intake on Friday to ensure an enjoyable Saturday! Okay....enough writing, not sure you can all read so much of my drivel in one sitting anymore!

4 comments:

Lizle said...

Sounds like we could've done with your hockey skills here. Glad you're enjoying it.

Malcolm said...

Wish I had joined Old Parks YEARS ago, better yet I wish I had applied myself and playd at school...instead of always having "shin splints" or some other bizarre excuse...

Lizle said...

Don't egg-beat yourself; you made up for it in the swimming pool.

Malcolm said...

I know but it is not a sport you really keep up after school...but you are right, no egg beating!