Monday 3 March 2008

Moving along

And so we move swiftly along. It was a very busy weekend for me, spent the day shopping and cooking for Malcolm’s birthday dinner and cleaning up after myself. I considered leaving the mess for Sunday because it was Mother’s Day, but that would have been cruel. I do not think Malcolm embraced being 40 – it was a great time for reflection, but that is his make up, hopefully if I stay true to form mine will be one big party, but I guess it is a HUGE milestone and I will have to wait until I get there to see what it is like, and how many people I have befriended, at least I have a few years!
We were also made uncomfortably aware as to how alone we are over here and how out of sight out of mind seems to work. The telephone rang TWICE, the mobile announced a text message 4 or 5 times and that was it, now in SA, it did not stop all day. Bloody hell, it was depressing. At least Martin and Geraldine made a great big song and dance about it, the door bell went at 08h30 and I sleepily stumbled downstairs in my nightie and was greeted by a gold balloon topped baby bottle of Moet and a big blue card with heartfelt bellows of Happy Birthday being directed up the stairs, and they were on their way to Martin’s mums funeral!!!!
The dinner was fab, I made a saffron rice with prawns dish out of one of my favourite chefs, Bill Granger’s books, with a decadent salad of crisp parma ham, vine tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and lots of olive oil. This was followed by an almond orange cake with vanilla cream.
Sunday was a lazy brunch day at a little coffee shop around the corner and just got lazier until I turned out some blueberry pancakes….for dinner!!! Ah Sundays, gotta love ‘em.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww...happy birthday Malcolm! Life begins now apparently. Sounds like a wonderful dinner. Hope you had a nice mother's day too, Nat xx

Malcolm said...

Great day - made pancakes and the kids cleaned up the mess ;)
Hope you had a special day too.