Tuesday 3 March 2009

Anti-social networking

Malcolm sent me an article about social networking sites - Get off Facebook and get a life - I read it and although there is always a place for technology I have to agree that we may just be taking it too far. My favourite eldest daughter spends more time on MSN chatting to her friends than she does in their company. Now I know it is something that teenagers do, but from now on I will be encouraging her to invite her friends over on the weekends, or arrange a place to meet. Hang on, I think I have already done the encouraging bit, perhaps insisting is required? We do still eat together but last night Jess and her lap top joined us at the dinner table - our third child? We made her close it and enjoyed our meal together but as soon as we were done she was back on to see what so and so had said...
On Sunday my youngest favourite daughter had her friend over and the three of them sat at the dining room table on their lap tops playing Sims, healthy - I think not. Guess I had better get a grip.

6 comments:

Rozi from Jozi said...

Hi Nat, I think it is something that all teenagers go through, in my day it was the CB Radio and I remember even bunking school to chat on the CB, it would drive my mother nuts because I would be up till early hours of the morning chatting away to strangers and arranging "eyeballs"!!! ;) And also no sooner had I eaten dinner and I was back on the CB.

Anonymous said...

I hear you Nats!!! Mine are not even allowed their cell phones at dinner (much to Morgans dispair). Sometimes when she says she is full, I think it is just because she cant wait to see who her most recent "beep-beep" came from...

Anonymous said...

Remember OUR childhood! Building forts and foofie slides (One Im sure you will never forget) and having malberry fights in the park on Leisure island..... Riding on the beach - television watching was VERY restricted (trying to watch Dallas through peep holes cause it was a no-no)... playing on the rocks all day long with Simon our deaf pooch ... ahhhh, bliss

Anonymous said...

Yep. Sounds familiar, but in our case it's the adults.

A friend of ours usually spends Monday nights at our house, most of the evening is spent on the three laptops playing poker on facebook!

The art of conversation still survives though!! It's just typed instead of spoken. eeep.

Anonymous said...

This is why I hardly do facebook updates :-)Some of my adult friends are obsessed and I wonder where they find time for their families (some of them don't). i think we all need to bring back the big child in us - but in a good way, not in a social network obsessed way. In fact, I bought a BIG bouncy blue ball and when Wally asked me why, I said because we all need to let loose and have fun. I bounced it around against the ceiling this morning (and knocked a few things over, but hey who cares) before I went to work and I felt like a million bucks - it certainly made me laugh. Think I am going to go out and by myself some crayons and a coloring book after all.

Unknown said...

Times change Nats...I have a TECHNO-boy who, with his 3 friends spend 18 hour days over school holidays LAN-ing...it's what they choose to do for entertainment!

Here I have this stunning garden complete with outdoor jacuzzi and I can't even bribe them to take a break and relax in the spa!!!